Gb3ey site move

Discussion in 'News' started by Clive G3GJA, 4 April 2014.

By Clive G3GJA on 4 April 2014 at 14:42
  1. Clive G3GJA

Clive G3GJA Active Member
    Staff Member Website Admin Chairman

Things have moved on since I last posted. Some 23cm ATV repeaters have now been approved and following discussions with Noel G8GTZ we have today applied for a move to Weedley and a change of mode to DVB-S. The predicted coverage map is based on a 10w TX which is about as much as you can get out of the existing PA when using DVB-S before the regeneration of sidebands becomes unacceptable.

We have decided not to take up Phil's kind offer of the use of the Octon site for the following reasons:
    1. There is only one active ATV operator near the site and even then it's doubtful whether he would a get line of site path because Octon is to far north of the edge of the hills above Driffield.
    2. Octon is too far away from the population centres in the south of the county. This is the same issue that blights Aldbrough causing EY to give good coverage to tens of square miles of empty fields. ATV needs big signals to cope with the wide bandwidths and it's not unusual to need in excess of 20 microvolts to get a usable analogue transmission. That's not compatible with a repeater that's more than twenty miles away.
    3. The high ground of the Wolds to the south restricts coverage in that direction protecting the radar at Claxby and reducing the signal from Claxby getting into the receiver. There is no geographical screening to the south at Octon (unless you're in Driffield!) which would not help persuading the CAA to approve the move.
    4. We want to use the existing Internet connection at Weedley to stream the receiver's output onto batc.tv

Noel has told us not to hold our breath as it's going to take some time. However, if all goes to plan ATV is set for a big boost in the area with DVB-S inputs on 70cm and 23cm, streaming and a much better service area. We also plan to link in the 3cm co-sited ATV repeater GB3XY. View attachment 121

Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Clive G3GJA, 4 April 2014.

1. M0IKB
      M0IKB
      Pity the Octon site was no good, I might have got to see GB3EY from my home QTH rather than have to go out /P. But I understand such issues, I do get to see GB3EY quite often when there is a small lift on from my home QTH in Scarborough (IO94sg), still getting my ATV gear together and built here. 23/13cms I have 1.6mtr homebrew dish, 4 x 15 ele yagis for 70cms, 60cm dish for 3cms and hopefully soon (ish) 1mtr dish finished for 6cms.
      regards
      Gus M0IKB