Gb3hs returned to service

Discussion in 'News' started by Clive G3GJA, 16 July 2013.

By Clive G3GJA on 16 July 2013 at 13:13
  1. Clive G3GJA

Clive G3GJA Active Member
    Staff Member Website Admin Chairman

Hissing Syd was returned to service at 22.30 on Monday the 15th July. It was taken out of service when a site inspection in April determined that the existing filters were not fit for purpose. They were built to a homebrew design that was published in QST in the 70s.

The repeater is now working on a set of 4 Aerial Facilities cavity filters that were kindly donated by Sam Hunt of Maxxwave Ltd. These filters provide in excess of -70dB notches in both legs which with the separation between the Tx & Rx antennas gives another -40dB on each side. There is now no dense at all and the repeater is more or less reciprocal with a 25 watt mobile in that if you can hear HS with smooth noise or better you'll be able to access it.

photo.jpg

A test I've used at home to judge how well HS is performing demonstrates the point; with the old filters I had to put +11dBm into my collinear to get in and now I only need +1.2dBm. That's all most a 10dB improvement which equates to turning your 5w handheld into a 50w handheld radio when working HS.

Please make use of the repeater now that it is working better than ever!

73 Clive G3GJA / G8EQZ

Ron Young likes this.
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Clive G3GJA, 16 July 2013.