Help with aprs settings for mb7vh

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andy G0VRM, 8 March 2015.

1. Andy G0VRM

Andy G0VRM Active Member
    Committee Member

Hi,
    I'm currently in the process of setting up the Argent Data Systems Tracker 3 to operate as MB7VH from Weedley in East Yorkshire, and I wonder if anyone can assist with the digipeater settings ? I'm currently planning on using WIDE 2-2 with a 15 minute beacon interval, however as things have changed since both Peter Sheppard and I ran APRS using UI-View, I don't want to upset the rest of the network!

73 de Andy

Tracker 3.jpg

2. phillip hardacre

Looks good to me, consider yours would be the main one in the area with everything else as a secondary, you might even want to try wide3-3 unless your linking directly to the internet.
    Looking forward to this being on air.
    phill

3. phillip hardacre

however the internet says
    > For the sake of this example, this discussion is for a N=3 area, i.e.
    > where a maximum of 3 digipeats are permitted. Also my experience is > with UIDIGI-ROM's primarily, so I will confine my discussion to them.>> In such an area I believe the recommended maximum via would be:>> via WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 rather than via WIDE3-3>> This would be the case since WIDE1-1 is included to as to take > advantage of any 'fill-in' digis which limit their response to just > WIDE1-1. Additionally if this transmission is heard by a UIDIGI-ROM, > it will repeat it and send it on with the remaining unused via of > WIDE2-2. Subsequent UIDIGI-ROM's will repeat this, the first leaving > a remaining via of WIDE2-1, the second repeating it without any > additional repeats possible. Thus the limit of 3 is enforced.>> Instead if the initial route was WIDE3-3, no properly configured > 'fill-in' digi will repeat the packet, however the UIDIGI-ROM's will > act properly enforcing the N=3 limit.

4. Andy G0VRM

Andy G0VRM Active Member
    Committee Member

I've tried using the internal digipeater on the Argent Tracker 3 and each time I have run into the same problem with the thing locking up after about an hour - I have since opted to run APRSIS32 with the digipeater stuff added to the XML file and the tracker running in plain KISS mode and it appears to work absolutely fine in this mode.

The only problem with this is that APRSIS32 is very graphically intensive and sometimes the remote link / VPN takes about 30 seconds (or more) to catch up as the map updates are tiled into Windows Remote Desktop - I'm currently experimenting with the GM8BPQ software (which will be familiar to anyone who remembers packet nodes) to run an APRS node and eventually an iGate.

73 de Andy