Internet link interuption

Discussion in 'News' started by Clive G3GJA, 7 August 2011.

By Clive G3GJA on 7 August 2011 at 22:54
  1. Clive G3GJA

Clive G3GJA Active Member
    Staff Member Website Admin Chairman

Apologies to all users of GB7HU for the lack of Internet connectivity over the last few days; it's now back on.

Following the storm on Thursday afternoon HU lost the 5.8GHz WLAN link between the gateway PC at Anlaby and the repeater's controller at Weedley. Initially I thought the head unit at Anlaby Common had failed again but after noting the strenghts of a few other signals on the 5.6GHz Band B, I substituted the head today with another brand new unit and got the same result. Resetting both to factory defaults and reloading the configuration made no difference either. As I was still not seeing the Weedley end suspicion then fell on that end of the link.

While I was fiddling with the link equipment at my QTH I decided to check the original unit that had failed and, sure enough, the signal used as a reference was around 16dB down on what I got with the other two units, confirming beyond doubt that it is faulty so it will be returned to the supplier.

A quick run up to the repeater site this afternoon confirmed that all was not well as I was unable to contact the head unit with my laptop and it didn't even show an Ethernet link light. Fortunately, the usual first resort for IT problems, i.e. turn it off and then on, got it going again. A quick check with my laptop confirmed the link had established connectivity back to Anlaby Common so I plugged the link back into the repeater and kept my fingers crossed that it was going to work when I got home.

What I suspect happened is that the storm caused a blip on the mains supply and that locked the head unit's CPU. The repeater group does have a brand new 2.2kVA uninteruptable power supply to install and that will fix all of the brown-outs, low and over voltage, spikes and noise problems with the mains supply at Weedley. It will only power GB7HU and its gateway PC (when / if moved to Weedley) to give the longest possible operation without mains to support the emergency comms role. However it is rather large and your Committee will need to make some space in the hut for it first!

Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Clive G3GJA, 7 August 2011.